Case Study – Under Armour
Under Armour, Global Headquarters is a waterfront campus that houses the Executive Team. The campus is comprised of five major three-story brick buildings spread over 10 acres. The major buildings are the Dawn (1929), the Cascade (1929), the Joy (1929), Ivory (1929), and the Tide Building (1949).
Scope of Work
Under Armour (UA) global headquarters are comprised of five historic brick masonry buildings at Tide Point in Baltimore, MD. PCM services provided façade restoration services consisting of 55,000 SF of re-pointing (60% campus-wide), 500+ of brick replacement, 2,500 LF of window caulking, and installation of one custom fit vertical expansion joint. The purpose of this work was to remedy leak issues and to protect the aging structure.
- Project: Under Armour Global Headquarters, 1010-1040 Hull Street, Baltimore, MD
- Management Team: Cross Street Partners, Baltimore, MD
- Schedule: Start-July 5, 2016 / CompletionOct 6, 2016
- Industry: Global Headquarters, Executive Offices
- Location: Locus Point, Baltimore, Maryland, United States
- Service Offered: Large Facade Restoration, re-pointing, power washing and sealant
Project Challenges & Objectives
- Under Armour is an open campus.
- Set up and take down each day was difficult to maneuver around heavy foot traffic with a lot of heavy equipment.
- Accessing the facades was done with a combination of swing staging and aerial lifts.
- The work was done during off hours (6pm-6am) to allow the daily operations of UA to go undisturbed. It was very important that our work not impact daily operations.
- All equipment and materials were removed from the site each day and we used vacuum attachments to reduce the amount of dust from the tuck pointing to keep the campus clean
- PCM power washing was able to plastic cover the windows to apply the brick sealer and remove it each morning. Each day the campus was to look like we were never there.
- Working overnight with high expectations and on a three-month schedule demanded exceptional management, site safety management, coordination with UA management and other contractors working on various other projects.
Benefits & Results
- Overall, PCM Services was able to value engineer the proposal to reduce the cost and streamline efficiencies as it relates to the tuck pointing, power washing, and sealant of these 5 buildings.
- By replacing the missing, cracked deteriorated mortar, PCM was able to successfully meet the client’s budget. The restoration work was performed to protect the integrity of the aging structure and provided a renewed look to the historic Tide Point Campus.
- PCM Services, who performed the facade restoration, brought outstanding management, knowledge, and insight. Their work enabled UA to operate as usual with little to no impact on daily operations.